OZARKHUNTER.NET
December 10, 2018, 03 :28:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Don's home projects completed  (Read 7172 times)
Losthunter
Administrator
Elite member

Winning Team 2012 , 2013 , 2015 Deer Contest

Email
« Reply #75 on: June 12, 2016, 11 :17:05 AM »

smoking or heating wood

Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; but remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.

“Life is tough, but it’s tougher if you’re stupid… There are some things a man just can’t run away from. A man’s got to have a code, a creed to live by.”
ArkansasDon
Elite member

WWW Email
« Reply #76 on: June 12, 2016, 01 :31:35 PM »

for heating. my cooking wood is in different pile

"if you're not on government watch list by now, you should be ashamed of yourself." by me

"Wild Turkey possesses a remarkable ability to turn arrogance into hopelessness" Col. by Tom Kelly.

"Unethical politicians aren’t the problem; they’re the symptom. They’re the result of all of us giving up our power." by Tyler Tervooren
Trapper
Elite member

Email
« Reply #77 on: June 12, 2016, 04 :50:16 PM »

The big rounds can be tough, which is why I always let my wife do the heavy splitting.

* splittingwood1.jpg (97.63 KB, 600x450 - viewed 71 times.)

* splittingwood4.jpg (75.91 KB, 460x440 - viewed 131 times.)

* splittingwood2.jpg (128.8 KB, 600x777 - viewed 73 times.)
ArkansasDon
Elite member

WWW Email
« Reply #78 on: June 12, 2016, 05 :18:56 PM »

smoking or heating wood

John, my BBQ wood hickory comes from my woods, I go to Texas for my mesquite. The oak I use to get my BBQ'ing fire going comes from my wood pile I heat with.

"if you're not on government watch list by now, you should be ashamed of yourself." by me

"Wild Turkey possesses a remarkable ability to turn arrogance into hopelessness" Col. by Tom Kelly.

"Unethical politicians aren’t the problem; they’re the symptom. They’re the result of all of us giving up our power." by Tyler Tervooren
Losthunter
Administrator
Elite member

Email
« Reply #79 on: June 12, 2016, 06 :00:38 PM »

nothin like your own wood supply

Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; but remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.

“Life is tough, but it’s tougher if you’re stupid… There are some things a man just can’t run away from. A man’s got to have a code, a creed to live by.”
ArkansasDon
Elite member

WWW Email
« Reply #80 on: September 17, 2017, 01 :23:56 PM »

my 2017 project I've working on most of the year. I started on my project back in late May, it's called a expedition camping trailer. The frame is built of a Harbor Freight Haul Master trailer that I modified. I built the tongue from scratch using 1\4" 2x2 square tubing & 3\16" thick angle metal & diamond plate. I shorten the width by 7" & shorten the length by 2ft. I welded everything. I changed out the leaf springs to a better quality (Rancho) & added shocks & welded in the shock mounts to the frame & axle. The tub I will be using is M416 style Dinoot military jeep tub with tail gate.

I ran some of the wiring (stop lights, tail lights, turn signals) inside the back bone, then out onto the frame rails. Drilled the frame rails & installed rubber wiring grommets, adds a clean look and eliminate sharp edges & chafing on the wiring. I'm also adding wire hold down clips to the wiring, drilled into the frame rails and using small machine screws to attach the wire clips to the frame rails.

The bottom of the frame ground clearance is a tad under 25" in height, axle ground clearance is tad over 14". I was thinking about putting 215\75R\15 General Grabbers AT tires on the 8 spoke black steel rims, which I have 205\75R\15 now to mock up the build.

I sand blasted the frame to bare metal to remove the red factory finish & for maximum adhesion for welding & final paint finish. Sprayed a spray on bed liner (2 stage) in a orange peel affect on the front, sides, rear faces\bottom of the frame rails, the tongue box I came up 9" off the bottom and sprayed the bed liner on it also. After the bed liner was dry, I primed over the entire frame inside & out & tongue box with PPG Epoxy Primer, top coated with base color "Coyote Tan" PPG Omni Base Paint that matches Cerakote's Coyote Tan, then 2 coats of a low luster\satin automotive clear which is PPG Concept Gloss with a flattener added.

Re-tap (clean the threads) on the tongue rails (which I tapped prior) and install the socket head screws which I finished in a moly matte back finish to attach the diamond plate tongue platform. I media blast them 1st.

Hopefully I am looking at the 1st of the new year to have it all finished. The roof top tent is a Smittybilt 2783, this will have a solar system w\100watt Renogy panel (which will be mounted on the tent rack) & a 50 watt portable Renogy panel with folding stand w\30 amp charge controller this will power the 12v Engel 22 Qt. Frig\Freez and few other accessories like 40 channel CB radio, 1000 watt swine inverter. The batteries will be 2 Optima Blue Top Marine wired in parallel, all this will be stored in the front tongue box. I know for sure I'll be changing out the front 2" ball coupler to a Lock 'N' Roll articulating hitch.

The last 2 photo's are a friend of mine from another forum the expedition trailer he built. This is what I am going for with some different features.  

* 005.JPG (1205.35 KB, 2304x1728 - viewed 53 times.)

* 007.JPG (913.25 KB, 2304x1728 - viewed 40 times.)

* 019.JPG (1188.84 KB, 2304x1728 - viewed 47 times.)

* untitled.png (286.58 KB, 480x326 - viewed 104 times.)

* chris2.jpg (77.2 KB, 798x551 - viewed 37 times.)

Losthunter
Administrator
Elite member

Email
« Reply #81 on: September 17, 2017, 08 :13:31 PM »

now that's nice ..

ArkansasDon
Elite member

WWW Email
« Reply #82 on: October 17, 2017, 11 :07:56 AM »

I decided to work on our expedition camping trailer until noon. Worked on the M416 style jeep tub. Got it all mocked up on the chassis. I'll size up the jeep style fenders, cutting them to length, then mocking them to height on the tub.
I cut down & scribe the jeep style fender & attached it temporary to the tub. That's the look I am looking for. I rounded the edges to soften it up. When I built the frame, I made the frame 1\4" wider & longer so their will be a 1\8" reveal all a way around the tub. I knew I would have to scribe the fenders in to fit flush up against the tub & frame rails.

Continue to work on our off road expedition camping trailer we prepped the M416 tub out & aluminum jeep style fenders for bedliner application (front face only).

We sand the tub with 120 gr. followed by wiping the substrate clean with a grease & oil cleaner, marked out our lines & masked off the areas we didn't want this bedliner applied. Then again applied more grease & oil cleaner.

I sprayed the bedliner on about a heavy 1\16" thick orange peel affect.

In a few days I'll will finish prepping out the tub & fenders, spray on the PPG DP Epoxy Primer. After this is dry I'll top coat tub (bedliner included) with the base paint Coyote Tan, the 2 coats of low luster satin clear finish.

The bedliner will help against rock chips on those Hwy's & back country dirt roads.
Yesterday early morning working session on the expedition camping trailer. Finished prepping the tub & fenders for primer. Got a good start with priming. In a few days I'll spray the base color Coyote Tan.

My goal is the end of this month to have the tub, tailgate, spare tire mount & fender based in its color Coyote Tan, cleared with 2 coats of a low luster satin finish, the floor under coat underneath (exterior side). The tub, spare tire mount & floor bolted to the frame rails, then the interior of the bed floor, side walls & back side of the tailgate shot with a bedliner & install the new General Grabber AT tires. Lastly install the tonneau cover.
 Then the next step of this build is the tent rack that will support the Smittybilt Roof Top Tent & the 100watt Renogy Solar Panel. I will fabricate from 1 1\2" metal tubing.

* 011.JPG (3319.34 KB, 4608x3456 - viewed 36 times.)

* 001.JPG (3395.85 KB, 4608x3456 - viewed 45 times.)

* 008.JPG (3353.03 KB, 4608x3456 - viewed 48 times.)

* 001.JPG (3340.4 KB, 4608x3456 - viewed 44 times.)

* 002.JPG (3407.38 KB, 4608x3456 - viewed 46 times.)

Losthunter
Administrator
Elite member

Email
« Reply #83 on: October 18, 2017, 07 :45:37 PM »

Nice setup.  Where you thinking about going with such a rig      maybe out west ?

ArkansasDon
Elite member

WWW Email
« Reply #84 on: October 19, 2017, 06 :12:38 AM »

the test run will be Ozarks in Arkansas; Wolf Pen, Mt. Magazine, Shore Lake, Mill Creek, Lee Creek & up into Missouri this coming up spring. Then a 15 day trip the 1st half of Appalachian Mountains late spring of 2018.

I figure this overland expedition trailer I'll have 11,000.00 into it before it hits the road. I just turned 58yrs old the wife will be 66 yrs this winter. Its time for us & time is flying by.

The wife & I haven't had a vacation in 14 yrs, I've haven't hunted or fly fished out of state (western) in 10 yrs. My business keeps me tied down. This winter I'm going part time from here on out & be doing the things I was neglected by my business.

ArkansasDon
Elite member

WWW Email
« Reply #85 on: October 19, 2017, 06 :48:15 AM »

thanks for asking John

Losthunter
Administrator
Elite member

Email
« Reply #86 on: October 19, 2017, 07 :44:35 PM »

enjoy life as much as possible its short so try and make it sweet

ArkansasDon
Elite member

WWW Email
« Reply #87 on: October 22, 2017, 10 :53:48 AM »

storm moved threw late night \ early this morning couldn't sleep so I went down to the shop to work on my expedition camping trailer. Installing the fenders after the clear coat thoroughly dried, working on the electrical (tail lights) mocked up for the tailgate & drill holes for the hinges into the tub. Still waiting for the tailgate latch to come in. I'm going old style hook & chain (those are on order) should be in this coming week.

I used electrical rubber grommets to run the wiring & the flex wire loom through the body tub after I size what hole to drill. All my electrical connections are soldered & shrink tubed twice for a water tight seal. I still have to mount the license plate bracket on the left fender & license light assembly which I'll run the same way using rubber grommets & wire loom. Waiting for those parts to come in through USPS.

The bolts & tail light brackets I media blasted & coated with a matte black moly coating, then baked on for extreme durability. All the black is done this ways on the trailer so nothing will rust or fail.

Tomorrow I'll order my metal for the bed, 1\2" box tubing spaced every 10" across the frame rails welded & 3\16" aluminum diamond plate for the floor which I will secure with truck bed carriage bolts threw the diamond plate, 1\2" tubing into the frame rails.

* 002.JPG (3436.77 KB, 4608x3456 - viewed 41 times.)

* 009.JPG (3326.47 KB, 4608x3456 - viewed 42 times.)

* 007.JPG (3389.36 KB, 4608x3456 - viewed 35 times.)

* 010.JPG (3471.15 KB, 4608x3456 - viewed 44 times.)

ArkansasDon
Elite member

WWW Email
« Reply #88 on: October 24, 2017, 05 :07:49 PM »

finished the tail gate, priming, base coat & clear finish. The hidden tailgate latches makes for a clean look on the outside.

* 22789071_1484246528290883_8856996156533537538_n.jpg (65.2 KB, 960x720 - viewed 40 times.)

Losthunter
Administrator
Elite member

Email
« Reply #89 on: October 24, 2017, 11 :21:46 PM »

Now that is one nice setup

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: