OZARKHUNTER.NET
August 14, 2018, 08 :12:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your first truck  (Read 210 times)
Losthunter
Administrator
Elite member

Winning Team 2012 , 2013 , 2015 Deer Contest

Email
« on: February 11, 2018, 09 :44:11 PM »

always remember mine ole 78 ford long wheel base 2 wheel drive , first girl ever rode in it I married and still have the girl wish I would of kept the truck as well .

Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; but remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.

“Life is tough, but it’s tougher if you’re stupid… There are some things a man just can’t run away from. A man’s got to have a code, a creed to live by.”
ArkansasDon
Elite member

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 07 :36:33 AM »

1972 Ford F100 shortbed 4x4 w\ 300 6cyl & granny 4 speed. It was Texaco oil field truck.

1st car 1965 Pont. GTO 389 4brl 4 speed,

"if you're not on government watch list by now, you should be ashamed of yourself." by me

"Wild Turkey possesses a remarkable ability to turn arrogance into hopelessness" Col. by Tom Kelly.

"Unethical politicians aren’t the problem; they’re the symptom. They’re the result of all of us giving up our power." by Tyler Tervooren
bfd804
Elite member

N0body does it better

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 03 :26:07 PM »

1975 GMC LWB 292 six cylinder three on the tree 4:11 rear borrowed $1800 on my own note to buy it.
Paid it off in 8 months. Had an aquaintance whose house and shop burned when hit by lightening, offered me 250 to clean it up so he could move a trailer in. He'd been trying to make a living as an appliance repairman and the whole thing was covered with burned out appliances and tin from the shop and house roof. I asked if he cared what I did with the stuff and he replied "it just has to be gone, I don't care where or how that's up to you" It took me a month off and on to sort and haul everything to the scrap dealer but even then copper was a good price and tin was scraping at 2 cents a pound. On the last couple of loads I didn't make it to the bank with the checks and left my wallet at home. When I got to work I had the checks over my visor and put them in my pocket. I cashed one for supper money. His sister in law saw it and tried to get me to tell her about it but I wouldn't. He came by later that evening to pay me the 250 and asked what I'd done with the stuff. "Got rid of it" I said He looked at me and said "i did tell you I didn't care what you did with it didn't I" then he asked  "just curious but how much did you get for all that scrap?" I wouldn't tell him but it was over 3000. Always amazed me how much stuff I could pile on that truck and it still hauled without trouble. One of the reasons I'm still a GMC fan today I guess. Of course scrapping, loading hauling all that by myself may be why i'm in the shape im in today and look like I do too.

The Only Thing Necessary for the Triumph of Evil is that Good Men Do Nothing
rjet
Elite member

Winning Team 2013 Deer Contest

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 09 :15:42 PM »

77 dodge 1/2 ton.  Slant 6, 3 speed on column and a bent frame right in the middle on both sides.  Was wise to have a few buddies around to push start it.
dspeakes
Elite member

Winning Team 2010 Deer Contest

Email
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 07 :05:48 AM »

78 Ford 2 wheel drive.  It was an ugly 2 tone brown but it got me where I needed to go.  It cost a whole lot less than the GMC I bought back in September.
Trapper
Elite member

Email
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 08 :31:00 PM »

Cut my teeth on my granddads 67 Chevy. 283 3 on the tree. It wasn't mine but just what us kids were allowed to drive. First car of my own was a 76 camaro followed by a 79 camaro.Now I have a Toyota mini van. I was so much cooler in my youth.  cool
namvet
OZARKHUNTER MEMBER OF THE YEAR 2010
Elite member

one shot=one kill

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 09 :18:34 AM »

63 Ford

* Rison.jpeg (10.43 KB, 259x194 - viewed 31 times.)

J. Stiles  The Tulip Rifles   Tulip Ar.
Sam Hutto
Administrator
Elite member

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 10 :11:24 AM »

I learned to drive in a 2 ton feed truck with a split differential and a 6 ton bulk feed bed on the back and a one ton flat bed delivery truck that was geared so low it sounded like it was going to blow up at 50 mph. Did my high school running around in Dad's pickups, the one he had my senior year was a '72 Chevy , two tone green with a 350 in it, that ting would set you back in the seat when you floored it. First vehicle that was mine was my second semester of college. I'm the youngest of 4 kids, closest one in age to me is my brother who's 10 years older than me. Dad's rule was you got a car your second year of college if you had good grades. I figured I was getting a 10 old VW bug. The second semester of my freshman year (spring of 1973) at Fayetteville I was bumming a ride to Conway with a friend and Dad told me to get dropped off at my oldest sister's place and she'd bring me home. When I got there my sister said she had to run by their business a minute. The business she and my brother in law owned was a salvage yard, body shop and car rebuilder. My brother in law told me I might as well drive my car home. I had no clue. Dad had told him to fix me up a ride. Now my brother in law was a car guy and he fixed me up a ride from a wrecked car they had. Waiting for me was a 1972 Chevelle SS, 402 engine, 14 inch wide General tires, quadrophonic 8-track stereo tape player with 16 speakers, copper with black racing stripes and hood pins, all factory. You couldn't tell it had ever been wrecked. To say I was surprised would be the understatement of the century. Paid to have kin in the car business. Looking back that was way too much car for an 18 year old, but is sure was fun. Sold it in 1974 when I got married and went to driving a 1972 Datsun pickup with a 4 banger in it, probably the toughest rig I ever owned, but I still blame it for a lot of my back problems.

Sam Hutto
Damascus, AR
Southern Van Buren County

Life NRA Member
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: