OZARKHUNTER.NET
June 18, 2019, 08 :13:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Seasoning firewood  (Read 763 times)
twodog
Elite member

Email
« on: August 12, 2018, 04 :42:20 AM »

We have used wood heat for supplemental heating for a long time. For the last 5 years almost all out heat is from wood because being retired I am around nearly all the time to keep the stove going. It has to get real cold for a long time for the central to kick on.
Part of the whole process is seasoning the wood for the best burn. I like to get the moisture content in the 15-20 percent range. A moisture meter takes all the guess work out of this. The best thing I did to help this process was to build a woodshed a couple years ago. After I split and stack the wood under the shed it is out of the weather and still exposed to wind and heat to help the drying. I checked some sticks this week. Some white oak I cut was 18% and a real green red oak cut in February was 23%. I think all my wood will be good to go before wood burning time rolls around.
I have a self admitted wood cutting addiction. I really enjoy the whole process even though it is a lot of work.
Any other firewood nuts out there?
dspeakes
Elite member

Winning Team 2010 Deer Contest

Email
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 07 :41:38 AM »

I have a wood burning fireplace at our house in Cherokee Village.  I have actually always enjoyed cutting and splitting wood.  I do season the wood but do not have a meter to measure the moisture.  That sounds interesting and maybe I should look into it.
Losthunter
Administrator
Elite member

Winning Team 2012 , 2013 , 2015 Deer Contest

Email
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 04 :39:05 PM »

Do you have any smoke problems in the house ? and what kind of stove would you recommend ?
always thought of getting one

Lord, make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who seek to destroy me. Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be, if only I had a gun, and lord, if today is the day you call me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass
twodog
Elite member

Email
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 07 :04:24 PM »

We do not have any real problem with smoke. The secret to avoiding smoke is when opening the stove door crack it for a few seconds to let the draft get going and then open all the way. We have a Lopi stove and it is our second of this make. They are well built and heat good. The first one stayed with a house we sold. Is it the best? I cannot say as I have not used any others. I do wish it used a little bit bigger wood and that the burn time was longer on a load of wood. There are things I would change but it does a good job so we are satisfied. They make many different models.
Trapper
Elite member

Email
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 05 :42:18 PM »

I cut and burn wood but the only thing I enjoy about it is not freezing to death in the winter.
twodog
Elite member

Email
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 06 :31:53 PM »

(:That is the best benefit
ArkansasDon
Elite member

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2018, 03 :19:37 PM »

I enjoy cutting firewood & splitting, cut about 3 to 4 ricks a year. Theirs no better heat IMO

"if you're not on government watch list by now, you should be ashamed of yourself." by me

"Wild Turkey possesses a remarkable ability to turn arrogance into hopelessness" Col. by Tom Kelly.

"Unethical politicians aren’t the problem; they’re the symptom. They’re the result of all of us giving up our power." by Tyler Tervooren
twodog
Elite member

Email
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2018, 04 :56:16 AM »

I really cannot say why I enjoy the wood cutting process I just do. This year I put about 6 cords in the woodshed. I actually measure my wood and do the math. This should leave a couple of cords left at the end of the winter. That way I will have a good start on the next year. I will start working on the wood supply as soon as I get done with deer season.
ArkansasDon
Elite member

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2018, 05 :37:25 AM »

I cut & split firewood after turkey hunting season. Winter the wife puts a pot on the wood stove & cooks up some ham & beans

* 13418881_1047066518675555_5270938535252649939_n.jpg (181.91 KB, 960x720 - viewed 57 times.)

* 26168021_1543023469079855_1136158828201173890_n.jpg (45.15 KB, 960x640 - viewed 58 times.)

"if you're not on government watch list by now, you should be ashamed of yourself." by me

"Wild Turkey possesses a remarkable ability to turn arrogance into hopelessness" Col. by Tom Kelly.

"Unethical politicians aren’t the problem; they’re the symptom. They’re the result of all of us giving up our power." by Tyler Tervooren
twodog
Elite member

Email
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2018, 12 :08:28 PM »

Old hillbillies always told me to have your wood cut split and stacked by Easter for it to dry in time for next winter. That may be pure bull but I always try to meet that goal. Sometimes I make it sometimes not.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: