OZARKHUNTER.NET
September 21, 2018, 03 :17:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Squirrels  (Read 77 times)
twodog
Elite member

Email
« on: August 24, 2018, 02 :54:00 PM »

Any squirrel hunters out there? When I was younger I would really hunt them hard. Now days hardly at all. Just no burning urge even though I enjoy going after them.
Darrell
Elite member

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 04 :27:25 PM »

yes, I hunt them with a dog,It's a little more exciting that way.My back was so bad last year I didn't get to go, but I've had serjury now, mayby I can go again this fall.
twodog
Elite member

Email
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 05 :50:26 PM »

Hunting squirrels with a good dog is loads of fun. I have not done to much of it but always was a good time.

Not many acorns here this year but right now the squirrels are cutting hickory nuts, pine cones and black gum. There were 7 gray squirrels in a black gum in my yard this morning.
duckman
GLOBAL MODERATOR
Elite member

mill creek mafia

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 08 :07:51 PM »

We do a little hunting for them in January but thats about ot.
Losthunter
Administrator
Elite member

Winning Team 2012 , 2013 , 2015 Deer Contest

Email
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 08 :15:53 PM »

We shoot lots of them off the feeders out behind the cabin to lazy go anywhere else

Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; but remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.

“Life is tough, but it’s tougher if you’re stupid… There are some things a man just can’t run away from. A man’s got to have a code, a creed to live by.”
twodog
Elite member

Email
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 03 :58:30 AM »

I see I am not the only one that does not hit them to hard. Forty years ago it was much bigger deal. I remember times you were concerned that someone would get your spot opening day or even be able to find a place on public land to park. Lots of hunter actually went to squirrel camp. Hunting sure has changed.
Trapper
Elite member

Email
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2018, 02 :00:14 PM »

Yep. I don't go after them much at all anymore. Several reasons I guess. For one thing I'm the only one here that will eat them and it's not worth the complaining or cooking two separate meals. Plus I worry I'll run out my deer if I spend too much time in the woods squirrel hunting. Never use to bow hunt back in my squirrel huntn' days and deer season was a couple months away. Now I hardly gun hunt for deer and do most of my deer hunting in the early season. Lastly no fall opening for squirrel season took some of the excitement away.
twodog
Elite member

Email
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2018, 05 :28:41 PM »

Trapper I feel about it the same way. Due to age and injury I cannot bowhunt much anymore but I do some and I do not want to mess that up. The near round season has taken a lot out of the excitement.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: