OZARKHUNTER.NET
May 22, 2019, 08 :57:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: We survived on Cheetos and Dr Pepper  (Read 212 times)
Trapper
Elite member

Email
« on: January 20, 2019, 12 :56:39 PM »

Well, we ended up getting caught up in the great blizzard yesterday. I had looked at the weather the night before an it said rain with flurries late. I left out at 10:30 am and by the time I got to Hardy it was snowing some but not sticking. No big deal. Half way between Hardy and Thayer it's snowing hard but still not sticking. Got into thayer and went to walmart and it's snowing hard now and ground is starting to get white in places. From walmart went to Hirschs and then headed home.

By now the roads are comepletly covered and getting slick. I'm doing okay until we get out of mamoth and start getting in the hills. First good curve there are seveal cars off the road and a f150 in front of me gets sideways and slides off in the ditch. Somehow I mange to creep through without sliding around too much. Maybe the half ton of feed in the back was helping. So anyway start going up the next big hill and a little red car in front of me stalls out. It's front tires are spinning but it's going nowhere. I ease around up and up the hill we go. I get to the top and saw a good place to pull over so I decided to wait awhile and see if a snow plow would come through. Sat there for about 30 minutes with nothing coming from either direction. While sitting there waiting it out we munched on a bag of Cheetos and drank dr pepper. Not the big puffy Cheetos but the little hard kind.  Finally a guy comes up the hill and pulls in to the dirt road we were parked beside. He rolled down window and asked which way we were headed because it was a mess headed back to mamoth. We told him we just came from that way.

A little while later a few more vehicles come through including a big rig. I figured we could follow in his tracks and be okay. So we get back on the road and go for a couple miles and traffic is stopped. We were there about an hour. A guy from behind us walked up the road to see what the problem was. He came back and said there was a jack knifed rig up ahead that had everything blocked.  Eventually a cop came from the other direction leading a long line of traffic and finally we got our turn and were led by the cop around the rig.

Okay road looking a little better now and were making some progress. No. Traffic stopped again so they can tow a car out of the ditch. They get him out and get going again only to have to stop after 50 yards so they can pull another one out of the ditch. After that one we were able to make it back without much trouble other than a couple of times cars coming from the other way got too close to the center and out of the ruts and slung slush all over my windshield. It was enough that you couldn't see anthing for bit until the wipers could clear it off.

Made it home okay but it was adventure I'd rather not repeat.
twodog
Elite member

Email
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 06 :20:08 PM »

We got lucky here. A few inches of snow but none stuck on the roads
Losthunter
Administrator
Elite member

Winning Team 2012 , 2013 , 2015 Deer Contest

Email
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 08 :41:28 PM »

We got back to the cabin around 9 last night from south Arkansas came up thru Batesville then up cave City to pougkilpsee on up 58 and never used 4 wheel drive roads was mostly clear by then .

Lord, make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who seek to destroy me. Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be, if only I had a gun, and lord, if today is the day you call me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: